Most people are not are not born with inner strength, but it can be developed like any other skill. It consists of willpower, self discipline, persistence, the ability to concentrate and peace of mind.
This article focuses on two of the ingredients of inner strength, willpower and self discipline. These skills are essential for success in all areas of life, and can be learned and developed like any other skill. However, only few take any steps to develop and strengthen them in a systematic way.
You need these skills for the efficient handling of all your activities and decisions. You need them for doing a good job, for success in business, for studying, losing weight, exercising, maintaining good relationships, changing habits, self improvement, meditation, spiritual growth, keeping promises and for almost everything else.
Inner Strength Is within Your Reach
There are simple and effective methods for developing these powers and attaining inner strength:
- Refusing to satisfy unimportant or unhealthy desires.
- Doing things that are useful, but which you resist doing.
By overcoming inner resistance to do a certain task you develop inner power and strength.
Refusing to satisfy useless, harmful or unnecessary desires, and abstaining from negative reactions adds to your inner strength. Intentionally acting contrary to your habits, on certain occasions, would sharpen and strengthen your inner strength.
You get stronger through constant practice, just like exercising your muscles at a gym makes your muscles stronger. In both cases, when you need inner power or physical strength, they are available to you and are at your immediate disposal.
Inner Strength Exercises:
- Don't read the newspaper for a few days.
- Now and then, drink your coffee or tea without sugar.
- Climb up the stairs instead of taking the lift.
- Park you car a little farther away from you destination, so that you have to walk.
- Now and then choose not to watch one of your favorite TV programs.
- Read a book that is useful and informative, but which you find boring.
- Curb your desire to criticize people.
- Delay your desire to retort angrily.
- Try to get out of bed quickly on a cold day.
These are only a few examples to show you how you can develop your inner strength.
By practicing these or similar exercises you gain inner power, which you can use when you are in need of it.
Practicing these simple exercises, and later, more advanced ones, you develop your inner muscles, just like lifting barbells develops your physical muscles.
You would gain a lot, if you follow a systematic method of training. In time, you would gain control over yourself, your habits, your reactions and your life.
This will take you closer to achieving you dreams and your goals.